Monday, March 30, 2015
8 Reasons to be Dedicated to Continued Education
1. To keep yourself humble - You can never know everything about being a makeup artist from makeup technique to business and marketing. You can always learn something new. If you feel you know everything there is to know about makeup, you are not challenging yourself enough.
2. To stay up to date on cosmetic technology - It's important to know the evolution of makeup and to be able to predict and have some awareness of where the industry is going.
3. To stay up to date on the industry - It's important to keep a pulse on industry leaders, products that are being used by other artist, and changes in the way we work as an industry
4. To stay confident - Confidence as a makeup artist comes from failing over and over through trial and error. We learn from our mistakes and refine our skills. By taking current makeup classes we continue to refine our skills while staying relevant.
5. To stay informed - How awful would it be to have your client ask you about the latest beauty product and you look back at them like a deer in headlights? Of course we can't know it all but it helps to at least know a thing or two related to their question. It creates almost an uneasiness that maybe you don't know what your doing?
6. To network - By attending makeup workshops, events, or seminars you get the opportunity to meet other makeup artist and industry leaders.
7. To learn tips and tricks - It's easy to think that we know the best, fastest, and most efficient way to apply makeup or pack our kits. Often times during classes you can pick up little golden nuggets of information you may never have heard of before. Even if you know the entire curriculum you might gain knowledge on a faster way to do a smokey eye, or the best place to network.
8. To be well rounded - You can never know enough, it's always great to know about different aspects of our industry and stay relevant.