As Makeup Artist we tend to focus on females but don't forget about the fellas. Often time for photoshoots or film you will be asked to groom and lightly make up the men. I've worked shoots with just male models so we always need to be prepared.
Men's Grooming Kit Must Haves:
- Moisturizer I like to carry either Cetaphil or Aveeno because they are hypoallergenic
- Toner I love using Kiehl's Cucumber Alcohol Free Toner or Le Mieux Essence Toner
- Foundation Palettes I always carry my RCMA shinto palette or the Graftobian HD foundation palette
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Airbrush Foundation (if you are an airbrush artist)
- Hair Comb's I like to carry a full kit of combs with various sizes because I might have to style an afro, or a pompadour. Also I like to have a variety because if I need to style more than one men the comb may carry hair gunk.
- Hair Spray I love using Sebastian hair sprays I carry three different holds depending on the look. I bought the travel size ones from Nigel's Beauty Emporium. I love it because they don't take up alot of space in my kit.
- Miscellaneous Hair Products: Dry Shampoo, hair wax, hair shine, pomade, etc.
- Tweezers You can never go wrong with Tweezerman tweezers. I use them for those few stray hairs on your male models.
- Blotting Powder I love MAC cosmetics blotting powder
- Blotting Papers Used to touch up models throughout the day
- Disposable Men's Razors & Shaving Cream I like to carry gillette brand razors and their shaving cream
- Matte Bronzer To contour and enhance your clients features I love the matte bronzer from Tarte cosmetics
- Chapstick I always carry carmex, vaseline, chapstick,
- Powder Puffs I buy these by the dozen at Nigel's beauty emporium
- Moustache Comb
- Mustache Scissors
These are just some of the items that you can carry in your kit to ensure your male models are serviced to the best of your ability. Try out different brands to see which you like best. What's in your men's grooming kit?